Not content to wait sensibly for IBC like everyone else, Canon have released a slew of new kit, including two new CMOS compact camcorders, the XF400 and XF405, which sit above the XC15 in Canon's range and offer ENG crews the chance to shoot 4K UHD at up to 60p. (If you only need Full HD, take a look at the equally new XA15 and XA11 here.)
According to the Canon press corps, the XF405 offers "broadcast quality UHD and Full HD capability into a handheld, lightweight body with a 1.0 type CMOS sensor, a 15x 4K zoom lens and Dual Pixel CMOS AF. The XF405 produces outstanding clarity and sharpness. With the addition of a 100P high frame rate and network capability for FTP transfer and remote control, this camcorder is ideal for newsgathering, documentary or corporate use."
What's the difference?
The only difference between the two is that the XF405 includes a 3G-SDI terminal, providing a secure BNC connection and enabling a 1920x1080 4:2:2 10-bit signal output for broadcast. The XF400 doesn't, but still boasts all the features listed below...
4K UHD/50P recording on SD cards with high frame rates.
- The XF405 supports UHD/50P MP4 and XF-AVC format (150Mbps) recording along with additional XF-AVC support coming via a firmware update in 2018.
- The XF405 offers 100P high frame rate recording, which brings stunning slow motion in Full HD.
- The combination of 1.0-Type CMOS sensor and dual DIGIC DV6 offers high image quality footage with clarity and detail with outstanding high sensitivity and low noise.
- 'Wide DR' mode enables the user to shoot with an 800% wide dynamic range, providing details in mid to high tone.
High quality 4K lens with 15x zoom
- A newly developed 4K lens for the 1.0 type CMOS sensor, using Super UD elements which minimise chromic aberration.
- The XF405 features an ultra-wide 25.5mm along with high magnification 15x optical zoom in 4K.
- A 30x Advanced Zoom capability in Full HD mode without image deterioration.
- A 9-blade iris diaphragm allows the operator to shoot beautiful and natural bokeh.
- An advanced five-axis image stabiliser helps to reduce image distortion.
- XF405 features three built-in ND filters of 1/4, 1/16 and 1/64 (2, 4 and 6 stops).
- 0.8x Wide angle and 1.5x tele-converter for additional flexibility and coverage in 4K and Full HD.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF for high-speed, precise autofocus
- The XF405 offers Dual Pixel CMOS AF, fast and accurate autofocusing in area of approx. 80% (vertically) x 80% (horizontally) of the image.
- The XF405's touchscreen allows focus control and camera operation for an intuitive operation.
- Various AF options are offered including Face Priority AF and Face Only AF.
- The innovative Dual Pixel Focus Guide supports manual focus shooting by telling the focus position visually.
Network capability with FTP transfer and remote control
- The XF405 gives you more mobility FTP files transfer directly from the camcorder or wirelessly by built-in WiFi.
- Using the XF405s built-in WiFi, it is possible to control via a smartphone or tablet using a Browser Remote. Additionally, the camcorder is fully compatible with the Canon Remote Controller RC-V100.
- IP Streaming (Full HD) firmware update planned in 2018.
Compact and lightweight body, professional operability
- Compact in size, lightweight and fully featured, the XF405 can meet a wide range of individual needs.
- The XF405 features an Infrared Mode allowing users to capture video in conditions with little to no ambient light.
- With Dual SD card slots the XF405 can record simultaneously to each of the two SD cards, providing an instant backup. With relay recording, the camera automatically switches recording from one SD card to the other when the first memory card becomes full.
- Variety of connectivity options feature on the XF405, including 3G-SDI (A model only), HDMI and two XLRs on the detachable handle.
- Flexible and high quality linear PCM 4ch audio is supported
- Five assignable buttons on the XF405 body provide a convenient way to set up the camera to individual requirements and to customise control based on user preference.
- Remote operation of the XF405 is possible with the Canon Remote Controller RC-V100, allowing users to operate from a distance.