We got an exclusive preview of Blackmagic Design’s Ursa Mini 4.6K and the Micro Cinema Camera, both hotly anticipated ultra lightweight handheld cameras, and we got our hands on one of only two UK demo units (give us a call on the details below if you’d like to borrow it, by the way).
The lovely Kim and Richard from Blackmagic distributors Holdan were on hand to give the lucky few a live demo of the Ursa Mini 4.6K, including a trip out into Golden Square to collect footage which was then screened back at ours in order to show just how high quality the camera’s images are (really quite high, for anyone who’s been hiding under a rock).
The new Ursa Mini 4.6K’s key crowd-pleasing features include:
– New 4.6K sensor. As the name suggests, the camera has a 4.6K image sensor that captures up to 4608 x 2592 pixels, bigger than full DCI 4K.
– 15 stops of dynamic range compared to the 12 stops on the Ursa Mini, meaning you can capture an even fuller range of highlights and shadows in your image.
– Dual CFast 2.0 cards, which use the latest CFast technology to ensure non-stop shooting at amazing speeds.
The Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera’s charms include:
– Micro digital film camera with Super 16mm sensor and 13 stops of dynamic range.
– Designed to be operated remotely.
– Iris control via Rewind and Forward buttons, plus remote control via expansion connector when using compatible lenses.
– The ability to record in RAW.
Judging by the response on the day, people are keen on the cameras despite the fact that they’re shipping without global shutter. “This is upsetting for us because we really wanted to produce a high dynamic range camera that had a global shutter in an all in one design,” Grant admitted in a video prior to the cameras shipping, but points out that users can now choose between the Ursa Mini 4K if they’re working on fast-moving projects like sports coverage and want 60fps 4K, or opt for the 4.6K if their priority is to get that high dynamic range.
Aside from the chance to shoot with the newest cameras ahead of NAB, the main draw at our event was the free beer, so we’re a little fuzzy on everything after the demos. If you think we owe you a call, get in touch on the details below.
Want a go? Check out our upcoming events here. You can also book your own demo of the Ursa 4.6K by giving us a call on 03332 409 306 or e-mailing broadcast@Jigsaw24.com. For all the latest news, follow @WeAreJigsaw24 on Twitter or ‘Like’ us on Facebook.