Hitachi’s helium-filled He6 6TB drive has new competition, as Seagate release their first 6TB drives at NAB. According to the official data sheet, the Enterprise Capacity 3.5″ HDD has “both 12Gb/s SAS and SATA 6Gb/s interfaces for easy integration into replicated and RAID storage systems,” and can hit 7200 RPM.
As well as that top speed, key features include a 128MB cache, Secure Instant Erase and SED FIPS 140-2 encryption options, and 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6TB capacity points. Seagate’s official highlight list includes:
– Highest-capacity large form factor enterprise drive—50% more capacity over last generation with up to 6TB—for demanding data growth.
– Fastest high-capacity HDD with best-in-class random and sequential read/write performance.
– Eighth-generation drive technology for reliable access to bulk storage of unstructured data.
– Both 12Gb/s SAS and SATA 6Gb/s interfaces for easy integration into replicated and RAID storage systems.
– Enhanced error correction, super parity and end-to-end SAS-based data integrity for accurate data storage.
– Industry-leading rotational vibration tolerance ensures consistent performance.
– Improved power and cooling efficiencies with low power consumption and on-demand PowerChoice™ technology based on T10/T13 power management standards.
– Engineered for 24×7 workloads of 550TB/yr—10× that of desktop drives.
– Robust performance with dual processors, ramp load technology, top-cover-attached motor and humidity sensor for optimum performance in all chassis.
– Self-Encrypting Drive (AES-256) with FIPS 140-2 validation and Seagate Instant Secure Erase cuts.
We’re taking this as confirmation that 6TB drives have finally arrived, what with GB Labs officially moving to them in order to increase the capacity of their larger scale solutions, LaCie promising us a two drive, 12TB 2big later this quarter, and GTechnology showing this helium 6TB-fuelled desktop storage on their stand:
Call us: 03332 409 306
Email us: comment@Jigsaw24.com