At NAB 2017, Sony is highlighting innovations in imaging, High Dynamic Range (HDR), IP and media solutions that enable the creation of dynamic content and increase workflow efficiencies for a range of applications and productions.
“In addition to driving the latest technological trends and innovations, Sony is honing our focus on the customer experience to become a long-term, strategic partner for our customers,” said Richard Scott, Head of Media Solutions, Sony Professional Solutions Europe. “At NAB we will be displaying new products, updates to current products and a range of workflow solutions that meet the ever-changing needs of customers – from 4K live to HDR to IP live production, media solutions, asset management and everything in between – allowing them to be in control of their future.”
At NAB, Sony will show products and technologies covering image capture including system cameras, handheld acquisition, ENG camcorders, motion picture cameras, interchangeable lens cameras, event production and compact production; HDR including select professional cameras and monitors: IP Live Production including live, high frame rate production servers and production switchers; and media solutions including storage, cloud and media asset management.
At NAB this year, Sony further evolves its 4K live solution adding metadata workflow to provide efficient content management over a Share Play-enabled network, allowing users to save significant time from production to on-air.
For HDR, Sony offers systems, workflows and choices of recording formats that deliver unprecedented flexibility in every HDR production. Sony has already established its SR Live for HDR workflow, a straightforward system enabling an efficient workflow for simultaneous production of 4K HDR and HD SDR.
Sony is also expanding its HDR capabilities in two enhancements, HD HDR Live broadcasting and Instant HDR workflow. Sony can offer the widest choice of video formats depending on users’ production requirements.
Sony is highlighting its IP Live Production workflow. Broadcasters around the world are increasingly embracing IP for its proven ability to deliver quality live 4K video, audio, synchronisation signals and control data through a single network cable. At NAB, Sony is highlighting its IP end-to-end capabilities, as well as its compatibility with industry standards such as SMPTE ST2110, ST2059 and NMOS IS-04.
For NAB 2017, Sony will introduce a range of new workflow solutions including:
– XDCAM Air – Cloud-based ENG subscription service. This comprehensive ENG workflow platform bridges the field assets with the station infrastructure enabling speed to air. From shooting to post-production, XDCAM Air harnesses the power of cloud computing and XDCAM.
With XDCAM Air, camera operators and news crews now have the ability to work more quickly and efficiently, concentrating on the story at hand, with the camera directly integrated into the workflow.
Version 1.0, releasing in June, will provide intelligent functions such as live streaming, XDCAM mobile compatibility, and metadata workflow. XDCAM Pocket is XDCAM Air’s mobile application which can turn a smartphone into a small ENG camera by transmitting a quality live stream through the mobile device’s LTE network using QoS stream mode.
XDCAM Air will be interoperable with most of major systems, both from Sony and 3rd parties. Sony will continue to develop new features and workflow for XDCAM Air, with further versions planned to support content management, enhanced device control as well as edit integration with NLEs.
– Media Backbone Hive orchestrates all phases of the familiar, tried and trusted news workflow that thousands of broadcasters depend on. Powerful yet intuitive applications are provided for planning, ingest, browsing, editing, publishing, playout, archive and management functions. Its outstanding technical achievement won the prestigious IABM Peter Wayne Award for Design and Innovation.
RTV Oost, a regional broadcaster in the Netherlands has selected Media Backbone Hive to streamline and future-proof its news operations, becoming the first European regional broadcaster to introduce the end-to-end media production solution from Sony.
– Media Backbone NavigatorX delivers easier, quicker and more efficient asset and workflow management. Designed to suit multiple modern workflow environments, it allows users to manage assets in a range of formats, with flexible options for production, archiving and workflow automation.
– Optical Disc Archive Generation 2 provides a secure long term archive based on Sony’s proven optical disc format, rated with a 100 year shelf life, and designed to achieve 3.3TB capacity on a single cartridge.
Acceptance of Optical Disc Archive has been steadily growing with the following new customers including Christian Broadcasting Network, Embassy Row, Golf Channel, National Film Board of Canada, The Voice, and Wells Fargo. Developers and vendors can incorporate Optical Disc Archive Generation 2 into their own compatible products, with Sony ready to provide technical support to facilitate product development. The latest partner products for Optical Disc Archive include: NLTek for Avid Interplay, QStar Archive Manager, SGL FlashNet, StorageDNA DNAfusion, Object Matrix, XenData.
Other new Sony products at NAB include:
– Monitors – Sony is highlighting a range of new and upgraded OLED and LCD HD monitors.
Version 2 firmware update allows new enhancements for on-set, Cinematography, Broadcast and graphics application, such as the new ITU-R BT.2020 and Adobe RGB colour spaces, and more. Applicable models are:
– TRIMASTER EL OLED HD picture monitors: The PVM-A250/A170
– LCD HD production monitors: LMD-A240/A220/A170
The new LMD-B240 is an affordable LCD basic grade full HD production monitor, with a lightweight and slim body for easy installation with natural ventilation (no cooling fan). The monitor is equipped with two HD-SDI, one composite and one HDMI inputs, as well as HD, SD formats, different frame rates, interlace, PsF, and progressive modes. The monitor uses the same video processing as the PVM-A series providing similar accuracy and low video latency. It also shares the same user interface with a unique Sync-Free Side by Side function.
– AXS-AR1 – AXS memory and SxS memory card reader using a Thunderbolt 2 interface. The Thunderbolt 2 connector also enables daisy-chain operation. This new reader is Sony’s first card reader to have a card slot which can be used for both AXS Memory A-series and SxS Memory card slots. The versatile reader supports simultaneous recording workflow, i.e., RAW (or X-OCN) and XAVC (or MPEG50) files recorded by F55/F5 and AXS-R7. The new AXS-AR1 offers ultra-fast transfer speeds to reduce time on set or during Ingest of the recorded material.
– DVF-EL200 – The DVF-EL200 is a high quality full HD (1920×1080) OLED viewfinder for the F55 and F5 that offers easy focusing and framing. With nearly twice the brightness of Sony’s DVF-EL100 and enhanced usability, the viewfinder is durable and resistant and can be quickly and easily attached to the CBK-55AT viewfinder stay for use with the F5 and F55 cameras. It features an improved eye sensor for increased sensitivity and better positioning, along with enhanced brightness, contrast and peaking level settings.
– UMC-S3CA – This new model is an Ultra high sensitivity 4K interchangeable lens video camera with a full frame sensor. Its Genlock support enables users to operate multiple cameras in synchronisation and widens the camera’s range of applications, such as shooting from multiple points or Virtual Reality use. Its small and light weight size make the camera easy to install on cranes and sliders ideal for crash cam use to capture exciting images from different angles and height.
– Ruggedised HDDs – PSZ-HC1T (1TB), PSZ-HC2T (2TB) – Improving on Sony’s previous HDDs, the redesigned 1TB and 2TB shuttle drives feature an extremely durable USB Type-A tethered cable and Type-C port, ideal for memory card backup in the field. The new bus powered HDDs, come pre-formatted in exFAT, are highly shock, splash and dust resistant and come packaged with a sturdy library box for additional content protection during shipping or storage. High speed data transfer has also been increased to up to 138MB/s (read/write) making any backup or storage operations even more efficient.
Sony’s free Memory Media Utility software download available at www.sony.net/mmu extends the value proposition by providing a record / rewrite life indicator, simultaneous content backup to multiple destinations, a re-formatting tool and much more.
If you want to know more on the biggest and best NAB Show releases, give us a call on 03332 409 306 or email broadcast@Jigsaw24.com. For all the latest news, follow @WeAreJigsaw24 on Twitter, ‘Like’ us on Facebook or take a look at our roundup post.