If you’re looking for a way to look after your digital assets, and get the peace of mind that your work is protected against human error, air conditioning failures, hardware faults, computer viruses and the like, a hosted backup service is the way to go.
We offer our own service called Backup24, which is durable, reliable and – crucially – affordable. But how does it compare to some of the other solutions out there? One popular option is Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), part of Amazon Web Services. But there are a number of reasons we believe Backup24 is more suitable than Amazon S3 for users who work in the creative industries and have large digital files.
Taking a look at Amazon’s pricing structure, you can see it’s rather complex, with charges for number of requests, type of request and the duration of data being held (Standard, Standard Infrequent Access and the more long-term Glacier package). Backup24, on the other hand, is priced on a simple £40 per TB stored per month model. As part of this, we provide help with restores should it be required, or there is also a self-service option available. There are also no bandwidth costs.
For larger businesses, we can also provide dedicated connectivity, which gives you a secure VPN connection to the data centre with ring-fenced bandwidth for your backups and restores, at £500 per 100Mbps dedicated connectivity per month.
With Backup24, one of our engineers will check your backup each day. With Amazon S3, the onus is on you to check that your backup has worked each day. You also need to complete online training on Amazon Web Services, whereas you don’t need to learn anything with Backup24 – we set it up, run it for you and will perform restores for you (or we can show you how to do this for yourself).
Designed for creatives
We’ve designed Backup24 specifically for creative users, whereas Amazon lead on being backup for business customers. And because creative work like video, audio and image files are high capacity and very valuable, we price our service per TB, rather than per GB.
As with all our services and solutions, we like to put you, the customer, front and centre, and make sure we talk to all our customers regardless of size. You get a dedicated point of contact for your account, plus engineers available on the end of the phone during normal business hours.
They can advise on all things backup and storage, check in on the state of your backups and help you find files too. With Amazon, only the largest customers have someone to speak to about the service.
And the rest
As well as all that, here are a few of the other benefits of choosing Backup24 from Jigsaw24:
– Someone on the end of the phone to give you advice and guidance, and to see how your backups are doing.
– No file recovery costs so there’s no limit to your file access.
– Fast, simple retrieval of your mission-critical data – if you lose your data, we should be able to retrieve it.
– Secure connections initiated by you, making for safer transfer of data.
– Live mirror copy of your existing data structure.
– Daily snapshots of data, so any version of a file can be retrieved.
– Physical checks of the integrity of the backup every day.
– Physical pre-stage of data. Imagine you have 20TB of data – to get that into cloud backup over the internet would take forever, so this eliminates that.
– Restore of data onto physical drives if required (at an additional cost).